Outdoor temperatures are going to be very hot for the next several days with highs in upper 90s and heat indexes over 100 degrees. Residents needing to cool off because they don't have an air conditioner or it isn't working can go to two East Peoria facilities during normal business hours:
- East Peoria Civic Plaza, 401 W Washington Street, open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- EastSide Centre at 1 EastSide Drive, open Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Other cooling centers in the Peoria area are at:
- All Peoria Fire Department Fire Stations, open to the public from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day of the week. If the firefighters are sent on a call, anyone using the station as a cooling center will have to temporarily leave during that time. Locations of fire stations can be found at https://www.peoriagov.org/DocumentCenter/View/1505/Fire-Station-Map-PDF?bidId=
- The Peoria Police Department headquarters lobby, 600 SW Adams Street, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Dream Center, 714 Hamilton Boulevard, a 24/7 cooling center for its eligible populations. (The only population the Dream Center does not focus on is single men who do not currently have a child or a significant other with them, or are not otherwise part of a family unit.)
- The Peoria Rescue Mission, 601 SW Adams Street, a 24/7 cooling center for single men, as well as during the day for anyone.
- The Esther House,6847 N Allen Road, a 24/7 cooling center for single women.
- Advanced Medical Transport, 1718 N Sterling, available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- The Salvation Army Pekin Rust Transitional Shelter, 235 Derby Street, a 24/7 cooling center for anyone.
- The Pekin Outreach Center, 515 Elizabeth Street, a day center for people experiencing homelessness, open daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.