Residents can dispose of live Christmas trees in two ways: Send it to the landfill or recycle it.
Live Christmas trees can be included with a resident’s regular garbage provided some requirements are met first, according to the East Peoria Public Works Department. The tree must be cut up and placed inside the garbage toter. All lights, tinsel and decorations must be removed. Also, trees should not be wrapped in any type of bag.
Public Works crews will not pick up trees that are in bags or not cut up and inside the toter.
Trees will be picked up through Wednesday, February 15. For more information, call 309-698-4716.
For those wanting to recycle, the Tazewell County Health Department has several Christmas tree drop-off sites throughout the county. There is NO drop-off location in East Peoria at Illinois Central College this year because the site is in a construction zone. Christmas trees can be dropped off at any of these mulching sites in Tazewell County through Sunday, January 15:
- Armington - Across the street from Village Hall
- Creve Coeur - Village Hall, 101 N Thorncrest
- Hopedale - Behind Village Hall
- Mackinaw – 605 S Orchard (behind the recycle bins)
- Minier - By recycling bin at Park and Pennsylvania
- Morton - Freedom Hall, 349 W Birchwood Street
- Tremont - Leaf pile, adjacent to City Park
- Washington - 815 Lincoln (Maintenance parking lot)
All lights, tinsel, ornaments and tree bags should be removed prior to drop off. For more information, call the Tazewell County Health Department at 309-929-0272.