- The East Peoria Housing Authority provides an opportunity for lower income East Peoria residents to receive financial rental help, satisfying a basic need, and allowing for a greater quality of life for their family than their income would otherwise permit.
- The East Peoria Housing Authority will provide resources and support to strengthen self-worth and reinforce self-esteem, ultimately benefiting the children.
- The East Peoria Housing Authority will provide financial relief to the elderly and disabled who often live on fixed incomes, thus giving them the means to afford decent, safe and sanitary housing.
The East Peoria Housing Authority (EPHA) operates two housing programs, with funds from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development. We offer a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program and a Project Based Voucher Program.
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
For this program, eligible persons rent from a private landlord on the open market. The EPHA helps program participants pay the rent to their landlord. To qualify, the household income must be below our income guidelines. Each housing unit, whether it is a house, apartment or mobil home, is inspected for compliance with Housing Quality Standards (HQS). Current funding permits participation of up to 195 households.
Landlords are responsible to screen potential tenants for suitability and are permitted to utilize their own lease agreement. There is a Housing Assistance Contract signed between the EPHA and the landlord. To get assistance through the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program, interested persons must make an application when the EPHA is accepting them (see the Wait List Application Information section for information about our application process). We do not have any emergency housing.
Section 8 Project-Based Vouchers
For this program, eligible persons are required to live in an apartment at the Leisure Acres Phase I apartment complex located in Sunnyland. To qualify, the person(s) must be 55 years old or older and must have income below the income guidelines. There are 35 efficiencies and 65 one bedroom size apartments in this complex. The tenant is required to pay 30% of their income towards their own rent and utilities with the EPHA subsidizing the remaining amount.
To get assistance through the Project-Based Voucher program, interested persons must make an application when the EPHA is accepting them (see the Wait List Application Information section for information about our application process). We do not have any emergency housing.
LANDLORD FINANCIAL INCENTIVES NOW AVAILABLE
FOR A LIMITED TIME, THE EAST PEORIA HOUSING AUTHORITY IS OFFERING A FINANCIAL INCENTIVE TO OWNERS/LANDLORDS. THE FINANCIAL INCENTIVES ARE AVAILABLE TO LANDLORDS FOR ELIGIBLE *NEW* LEASE UPS ONLY!!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
LANDLORDS/OWNERS WHO SIGN A NEW LEASE WITH AN APPROVED HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PARTICIPANT, WILL RECEIVE AN ADDITIONAL ONE-TIME HOUSING PAYMENT BONUS! THE BONUS WILL BE EQUIVALENT TO ONE FULL MONTHS CONTRACT RENT AND IT WILL BE IN ADDITION TO THE REGULAR HAP PAYMENT RECEIVED FROM THE HOUSING AUTHORITY AT THE TIME THAT THE HAP CONTRACT IS EXECUTED.
- THIS PAYMENT IS NON-REFUNDABLE TO THE EPHA AGENCY UNLESS THE INITIAL 12 MONTH LEASE IS NOT COMPLETE. SHOULD THE LEASE BE TERMINATED EARLY BY MUTUAL AGREEMENT THE HAP BONUS WOULD BE RETURNED OR RECOUPED BY THE EPHA AGENCY.
- THESE INCENTIVE PAYMENTS ARE ONLY AVAILABLE ON NEW LEASES STARTING JANUARY 1, 2021 UNTIL AVAILABLE FUNDS ARE EXHAUSTED.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT THE EAST PEORIA HOUSING AUTHORITY AT (309) 698-4718